September 27, 2014 Explore the Glacial Geology & Hunt for Lake Superior Agates with AWGAWG-MN invites you and your family to join us for an exclusive visit to a gravel mine in Scandia, MN. We will explore the glacial geology of the mine, followed by the opportunity to hunt for Lake Superior Agates!Space is limited so be sure to reserve your spot today. Registration
- 10:00am & 10:30am: Groups will depart from Gammelgarden Museum (20880 Olinda Trail North, Scandia, MN) for gravel mine location
- 10:00 am - Noon: Geology Discussion & Agate Hunt
- Noon - 1:00 pm: Picnic Lunch at Gammelgarden Museum. Brats & hot dogs will be provided.
Spring Social this Thursday. Please go to their website to reserve
a spot! (http://aipgmg.org)
Advancing Women in Geoscience:
A panel of women geoscientist discussing their career experiences and the
advancement of women in the geosciences. February 27, 2014
Fall Field Trip: Journey to the Paleozoic PlateauAWG is partnering with the Minnesota Ground Water Association (MGWA) and the
American Institute of Professional Geologists (AIPG) to conduct a fall field trip this
October! The trip highlights the hydrologic and cultural heritage of southeaster
Minnesota's karst lands. Stops will cover topics related to karst hydrology,
including rapid groundwater movement and short residence times engineering,
agricultural and ecological concerns, and the unique landscape formed under
conditions of dissolving bedrock.
We will be spending Friday night at the Eagle Bluff Environmental Center in Lanesboro,
with a dinner/presentation that evening at the Branding Iron Supper Club in Preston
honoring the life's work of Dr. E. Calvin Alexander Jr., University of Minnesota. The
bus trip will begin Friday morning at 8:00 AM in the Twin Cities, returning by
5:00 PK Saturday. Pick up and drop off will also be available in Rochester for
those joining the trip from the southeast.
Download the field trip flyer here!
- AIPG Joint Luncheon, April 2, 2013: Beth Wenell from the University of Minnesota gave a talk on "Quantifying the Soil-Rock Interface."
WEN (formally FWEF) Networking Event: April 3, 2013: Women’s Environmental Network.
- Lilydale Fossil Hunt, June 9th, 2012: Lilydale Regional Park, St. Paul
- AIPG Joint Luncheon, April 3, 2012: Dr. Karen Gran from the University of Minnesota, Duluth spoke on her research on "Evolving Sediment Sources in the Minnesota River Basin."
FWEF Networking Event: Wednesday, March 28, 2012: The Forum of Women in the Environmental Field networking event held from 6:00 to 8:00 PM at Hamline College in St. Paul.
- Fireside Chat & Potluck - January 21, 2012: Jim Cotter and Wanda Hanlon spoke on "The Geology, Terrior and Winemaking of Minnesota"
- AWG Tropical BBQ Dinner: Saturday, October 8th 2011, 6:30 to 9:00 PM, Kokomo Island Cafe, Mall of America.
- AWG National Board Meetings: October 8-9, 2011
- AWG Breakfast & Awards Ceremony at GSA: Monday, Oct. 10th 6:30 AM at the Minneapolis Convention Center Ballroom B
- Earth Science Week: October 9-12, 2011
- AWG-MN Elections: August 2011
- Lilydale Fossil Hunting, June 11, 2011: Lilydale Regional Park, St. Paul
- AIPG Joint Luncheon, April 5, 2011: Kate Kleiter with AET spoke on her involvement with construction of the Twins' stadium.
- Fireside Chat & Potluck - January 22, 2011: Harvey Thorleifson from Minnesota Geological Survey spoke on "The Search for Diamonds in North America"
- Book Swap & Networking - October 27th 2010: Edina Public Library
- Geocaching Event - July 17th 2010: William O'Brien State Park www.williamobrienpark.com
- Lilydale Fossil Hunting - June 19th 2010: Lilydale Regional Park, St. Paul
- Geopalooza weekend, May 1st & 2nd 2010: Reception & dinner with AWG & AWGF National Board and Minnesota Chapter Officers; Retreat of St. Anthony Falls Field Trip lead by Karen Campbell.
- AIPG Joint Luncheon, April 6, 2010: Heather Arends from the MDNR spoke on Minnesota aggregate resources and the DNR aggregate mapping program.
- Kramer Burnsville Quarry tour, October 15, 2009
- Women in Geosciences Day, October 16, 2009
- Joint Networking Event with the Forum for Women in the Environmental Field April 29th, 2009
- AWG sponsored tour of St Anthony Falls Lab (SAFL), Friday June 6, 2008 located at 2 Third Avenue SE, Minneapolis. Dinner afterwards at Tuggs Taven on the St Anthony riverfront.
- AWG wine donation to AIPG Spring Social Tuesday April 22, 2008
- AIPG-MN & AWG-MN joint luncheon: Carrie Jennings, MGS, on "Sediment dynamics in agricultural watersheds of the Minnesota basin."
- Networking Happy Hours (various locations)
- SAGE Science Fair Judging - further details on the AWG SAGE program can be found at: www.awg.org/ed-out/sage/
- AIPG-MN & AWG-MN joint luncheon: Dr. Mindy Erickson, MPCA, on Ambient Ground Water Sampling, April 2007
- AWG Booth at South-Central and North-Central Sections, GSA
- Networking Happy Hour, April 2007
- Career Panel, November 2006. Thanks to all of our panelists!
- "Women in AIPG Breakfast" at AIPG National Convention, 2006. AWG members spoke informally about their experiences in the geosciences.
- Booth at the AIPG National Convention in St Paul, MN. See www.aipg2006.org for more information.
- Bell Science Museum of Natural History Science Fair: March 4th 2006, www.bellmuseum.org for more details.
- MnSTA: Minnesota Science Teachers Association meeting in Winona, 2006.
- Winter Potluck, 2006